Ayaw ng Nanay Mo: Enzo Marcos on Severo's Upcoming Album


It was past two in the morning. I just finished uploading Ocho Toleran's latest session with Dyun of 55 Tinta.

Toing. YM add up ding. Enzo Marcos. It was oh-shit-I've-no-questions-for-the-interview-I-scheduled-last-week mode all of a sudden.

The best thing about this was that Enzo was coming from Severo's recording session. Sure enough the band was working on an album (you will soon find that this was not a new stick to draw). The opportunist in me quickly saw that I was saved by this fact as this showed the way to an ambush interview (I'm not sure when he realized I was already conducting the questions and that he was no more off-the-record).

Another stroke of luck drove in as Enzo Marcos did exactly what his status message that read 'you can radiate everything you are' - and boy was he transparent.

The following transcript was edited and translated minutes after the interview.

BoomDizon: How do we do this?
Enzo Marcos: Yo! Your call, Kap? Yeah, how?
BD: I’m still thinking of questions.
EM: Alright.
EM: Just send me news.
BD: The last feature was The Lowtechs.
EM: Oh nice! That’s solid! We’re working on an album.
BD: Would you like to wait for the album?
BD: Or perhaps we can do a teaser and then do another feature upon release?
EM: We’ll see. I’ll talk to my band mates. Is that alright? Twice?
BD: If there are updates, (or) anything you wanna shout, let me know.
EM: Sure, dude! THANKS MAN! This is gonna help a lot.
BD: (I’ve) seen you play, UP Fair, 2006.
EM: Nice! That goes way back.
BD: I thought you did well; and then you pick up Gino (Villamor) – that’s like an exponent. Gino is gold dude
EM: Well, I think he's been with us for about a year and (some) change. We just had a session earlier… solid.
BD: Good to know, I’m glad it gelled together – its real hard to switch to a new axe man
EM: Yeah, man. We’ve had seven guitarists.
BD: Holy crap.
EM: Exactly. A lot, huh?
BD: Gino is solid state stuff man.
EM: how do you know him?
BD: Work, art and mind, dude. I was there when he was being introduced into Severo
EM: Were you with the one with him? In the car? Hehe…
BD: Yeah, when he got his first study CD. We were yelling while listening to NU promotions.

Interview starts here.

BD: So tell me about the new album, gimme an intro.
EM: Well, its our first album. Shite… we've been working on it on and off for seven years or so.
BD: Long time coming, in the words of (Chris) Cornell.
EM: Yeah. Line up changes... changing studios... day jobs… at one point financial problems - some dude took our cash. It was really delayed.
BD: How does this affect the material?
EM: Well, we cut out some of the old stuff. We wanted to cut out five songs, but our friends DEMANDED that we keep certain songs.
BD: How many tracks are we talking about?
EM: We settled on 10.
BD: A good number for a debut.
EM: Four old songs... six relatively new ones.
BD: This isn’t at all a concept album, like Floyd’s far side?
EM: Nah, man. Far from it.
BD: I may be pre-empting but, do you have a working title for it?
EM: Ahhh. Hehe. I’m not at liberty to say. NAKS. We’ve candidates but there’s nothing final yet.
BD: Content-wise, how big of a spectrum did Severo cover with the unnamed album? Is there an encompassing theme to the cuts?
EM: Well, since the material was compiled over a few years, the sound is varied. I mean we started out wanting to be Incubus/RHCP/Rage against the machine. Its evident in certain songs. But since we literally aged as we were working on the album, our taste as a band changed as well. That’s not to say that we stopped listening to those bands, you know?
BD: understood

Some lines of the transcript have been deleted (this was the part where Enzo gets distracted with planning alcohol intoxication, I ask forgiveness for the kind chump).

BD: When is the projected release?
EM: (I) Can’t really give you a specific date, but I’m certain that it'll come out this year.
BD: With the thing in the works, and the band mute from this conversation, describe the album, in not more than five words.
EM: Damn, son. That’s quite a question. (Enzo pauses for about 20 seconds) SPICY. ITS ABOUT TIME. Does that work?
BD: Splendid. That’s a wrap, man.



I let the fact slide that Enzo, technically, had two more words for the last question.

About this entry

  1. Wow.....really great informative blog post.I really like this great blog.Thanks for share with us.

  2. Great post, I think website owners should learn a lot from this site its very user friendly .
    Phone Recorder

Post a Comment

 

Home | nullmaligno | Powered By Blogspot | © Copyright  2008